From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 2015 05:55:14 -0700

> >All the target species of the neonicotiniods have natural predators,
> often small birds.

Chris, I'm not following your logic.  The neonic seed treatments target
root and stem feeders and borers, and above ground sucking insects.  And
only in/on the cultivated crop, and generally only for the first 30 days of
growth.

On the other hand, foliar sprays of most any insecticide are relatively
indiscriminate, and kill virtually all insect species, perhaps at the very
time that birds are feeding their young.

 Which target species of neonic seed treatments are you referring to that
are a major source of bird food?    This is a serious question to which I'd
like to hear a well informed answer, as it is an important question.

Since this question is frequently raised, can anyone on the List better
inform us on the effects of neonic seed treatments upon insects that supply
a substantial portion of food for birds?

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA