Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2009 14:41:12 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
>>So it might be that those of us who have a very low grade intolerance to pollen, and tree pollen is currently heavy here in Maine, do get relief mostly by honeys ability to coat the throat and remove irritation. 

I've always wondered about 'honey coating the throat.'  I think it would have to be fairly undiluted to coat.  I let honey dilute in the saliva before swallowing.  Does it have a coating effect?  I think drinking a glass of water or eating a meal, would have an equal or greater clearing effect. 

>>While those with more pronounced allergic reactions only get that but nothing more. Still have the runny nose, sneezing and other problems.

Removing irritants does bring relief.  Rinsing the nose with saline solution helps quite a lot of people.

>>The honey is treating one symptom, so you have some relief, but it is by no means a "desensitizer" to local pollen.

I get hay fever if I mowe the grass and not eat honey on a regular basis.  I don't see how honey can remove cut grass irritants - they bother my nose not throat.  I don't get hay fever from uncut grass or dry hay.  I do know it's not psychological.

Waldemar

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned 
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2