From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 15:34:18 -0500
On the hive topic, I have no objection to the D.E. hive's serviceability or
anyone's opportunity to choose whatever style hive they like.   I am just
not convinced that the benefits afforded by any special hive can justify
the sacrifice of standardization.

More bees --> more honey regardless of the hive.  Population depends on
genetics and management.    Many of us could provide a long list of the
things we dislike about the standard hive.   But that is what it is.   You
can use whatever you like, but chances are, sooner or later it will be
easier with conventional equipment.  IMO.

The old journals (and some new ones!) have often featured ads for this or
that, claiming increased crops were only one indispensable gadget away.
Hive patents abound.  But by now it's reasonably safe to say that with
hives, it's all been tried and said before.

I am mindful that the bee-l readership includes many novices or potential
novices, to whom many of these points (regarding equipment) are not
obvious.

Joel Govostes
Freeville, NY