From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2007 14:27:05 -0400
>Exactly what nectar and pollen flows are we are missing as LC
>beekeepers?  I have read this claim by SC beekeepers quite a
>few  times, but haven't read any documentation that supports
>this statement with reference to specific forage and pollen.

That is because there is none, and such evidence would be hard to produce,
possibly because it is not true (who really knows?), but also possibly
because other factors enter into the mix and would confound any simple
test.

Frank Eischen recently made a presentation revealing some of his findings
in almond pollination.  I don't recall the details well enough to quote,
but there was a stunning difference in the number of varieties of pollen
collected by different strains of bees at the same location.  Some
collected only a few varieties, while others collected many more varieties.

So, even if a specific yard of SC bees collected more varieties of pollen,
it would be hard to correlate that with the cell size, since the act of
making bees into small cell bees may partially be a selection for
compatible genetics.