Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:34:15 GMT
>>If you were *NOT* allowed to import honeybees in "pinches" what
would the loss in pollination be? Millions, billions? Can US beekeepers provide enough
pollinators period even?

I think there would be a tighter supply of bees for one or two years while beekeepers
expanded their holdings to meet the pollination demand and earn some attractive
pollination fees. [I might be tempted to quit my daytime job and go into beekeeping full
time. :)]

There is no real reason (only excuses) for a country like the US to be short on American
bees, (cars, clothes, electronics, etc.).  [It all takes responsible adult citizenry and
visionary leadership.]  Beekeeping used to be sustainable in the US and can still be
sustainable if things are not done on the brink.

I don't think there is anything wrong with occasional supplementation via imports but this
should not be the regular practice.

>>Are consumers willing to have *cheap* apples, almonds and so fourth for the next
ten years, while people import random bees with random or unknown diseases and problems?

If accounts don't get balanced on all levels, consumers will not be able to afford even
the *cheap* apples, almonds etc.  Why does everything have to be cheap, disposable,
worthless and paid for with money most folks don't have?  Is this the life we want?  Where
are our values?  The baby boomers have lost it.

>>These are questions we as beekeepers and US consumers need to start a discussion
on, what is the societal costs associated with importing bees.

Discussions and a change of course would be good but on what forum?  As long as you have
40-50,000 lobbyists in Washington, the country will stay on a short-sighted, special
interests' course.

Waldemar