Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:34:15 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
>>If you were *NOT* allowed to import honeybees in "pinches" what 
would the loss in pollination be? Millions, billions? Can US beekeepers provide enough 
pollinators period even?

I think there would be a tighter supply of bees for one or two years while beekeepers 
expanded their holdings to meet the pollination demand and earn some attractive 
pollination fees. [I might be tempted to quit my daytime job and go into beekeeping full 
time. :)]

There is no real reason (only excuses) for a country like the US to be short on American 
bees, (cars, clothes, electronics, etc.).  [It all takes responsible adult citizenry and 
visionary leadership.]  Beekeeping used to be sustainable in the US and can still be 
sustainable if things are not done on the brink.

I don't think there is anything wrong with occasional supplementation via imports but this 
should not be the regular practice.

>>Are consumers willing to have *cheap* apples, almonds and so fourth for the next 
ten years, while people import random bees with random or unknown diseases and problems?

If accounts don't get balanced on all levels, consumers will not be able to afford even 
the *cheap* apples, almonds etc.  Why does everything have to be cheap, disposable, 
worthless and paid for with money most folks don't have?  Is this the life we want?  Where 
are our values?  The baby boomers have lost it.

>>These are questions we as beekeepers and US consumers need to start a discussion 
on, what is the societal costs associated with importing bees.

Discussions and a change of course would be good but on what forum?  As long as you have 
40-50,000 lobbyists in Washington, the country will stay on a short-sighted, special 
interests' course.

Waldemar

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:          *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm  *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2