Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 2010 18:39:59 -0600
> I was like most beekeepers and fought making spacers but after using for a
> few years now I like the spacers. Bees will build comb in the space if
> supers are not placed on time.

I nail my spacers to the lid instead.   The rims are reinforced by the lids
and are less subject to breakage and don't need extra handling since they go
on and off with the lid.

That means the centre of the lid is up over an inch above the frames, but we
use a pillow under the lid and that fills the space around patties, etc.
The pillows are the size of the top of the super and about an inch thick,
but very soft.  Some make their pillows larger so they overhang an inch all
around and are folded down under their telescoping lids making placement
less critical and making the seal even better.

The pillow idea has caught on up here and is quite popular, since it
provides good insulation against heat and cold and is also a good seal
against cold winds which can damage small hives in spring.

A variation on the pillow is to use a sheet of canvas or burlap on top of
the frames.  A simple sheet of 6-mil plastic on top of the frames and held
down by the rim under the lid also works, is dirt-cheap, and takes up little
space in storage and transit.