From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 09:17:10 -0500
Articles below show that Frederick Grabbe and Mr. Perrine both
had floating bee houses which traveled the Mississippi river during
the same time period.

The question arises, did they know each
other?  Where they competitors,,, or partners?

Gleanings in Bee Culture, March of 1876
provides us with the answer:

=====
Gleanings in Bee Culture - March, 1876
Page 78

We Clip the following from the Louisiana
State Register.  If we mistake not our friend
Perrine, has really turned bee-keeper...."

"... Messrs, Perrine & Grabbe have started into business by
putting up a saw mill and cutting out material for one
thousands hives.  They purchased about one hundred
and fifty colonies of black bees, and brought one
hundred colonies of Italians with them from Chicago.
They are located on St. Charles Avenue, in Seventh
District.

Source:
http://books.google.com/books?id=hG1aAAAAIAAJ&pg=RA2-PA78&dq=#v=onepage&q=&f=false

=====

Also found in various sources, is information that F. Grabbe
was once part owner of “American Bee Journal”

===== Frederick Grabbe Article =====
http://www.51illinois.org/grabbe.html

===== Mr. Perrine Article =====
Colonies And India
July 20, 1878, London, Middlesex

A Gigantic Floating Beehive.

Our American cousins have, hit upon another novelty,
which we find thus referred to in a New York contemporary
of the 22nd ult..:—A floating bee-house has been constructed
by Mr. Perrine, a Chicago honey dealer, large enough to
accommodate two thousand hives, which he is having towed
up the Mississippi river from Louisiana to Minnesota, keeping
pace with the blossoming of the flowers, and thus stimulating
the honey making ability of his bees. Returning, he will
stop about two months somewhere above St. Louis, and will
reach Louisiana in October. He wants to take advantage of
the autumnal flowers at each point. The plan of moving the
bees to get the benefit of flowers has been tried in a small
way in some parts of Europe. It is possible that honey-bee
ships might advantageously be sent out in winter to the
West India Islands to cruise for honey after the manner
above described.

Best Wishes,
Joe
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHoneybeeArticles/