From:
Garry Libby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 20:38:57 -0500
Hi Joel,

          Why are You criticising something You haven't tried?In My two
short years of keeping bees I can tell the difference between a frame that
is and is not propolizes to the hive body.I think You really should see one
of these hives,the bees cannot reach the ends of the frames to propolize
them, so it shouldn't matter if the hive is brand new or ten years old.
Also You talk about "staggering" the supers or "jacking them up with
sticks".Doesn't that tell You that something is lacking in the design of
Your hive?(after all it was designed one hundred and thirty? years ago) The
D.E.hive although not perfect is a vast improvement over the Langstroth
hive.I really urge You to try one or at least go see one.I wouldn't expect a
commercial beekeeper to switch over,but a hobbiest or new beekeeper really
should do some research before buying an anciently designed hive.I only have
eight hives(seven Langstroth),but I wish I never started with
Langstroths,all future hives will be D.E.Hives,a modern hive.

Garry Libby
Boston,MA   USA