From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2011 09:45:56 -0500
Commercial beekeepers are using a aluminum Pepsi or coke (soda pop syrup )
container and drilling out the two holes and using a tap.
In one hole they install a hose with a spray wand and the other a tire valve
stem.
Air up to 60 pounds of pressure and apply the oxalic.
I was given a tank by a beekeeper north of me quite awhile ago but have
never got around to making the setup up.
I think it would take practice to get the measure right.
We did not like the ivomec sprayer as too hard on the hand and the regular
sprayer pumped too slow.
Actually the syringes like Bill uses worked for us in late fall when the
bees are clustered.
I would point out:
I really think that as long as the mix is right the 50 ml. rule is
negotiable and we go by number of bees in the hive. It seems if I remember
correctly at first it was 35 ml per hive. 50 ml. being I guess the highest
amount you can use on a hive without some brood or bee kill.
Dribble or stream is essential as spraying wood is useless. To *kill* varroa
they have to be in contact with the chemical.
Commercial beekeepers getting poor results *in my opinion* are not taking
the time to apply correctly.

bob