From:
"Janet A. Katz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:09:39 -0400
I extracted a batch of deep supers for another beekeeper at the end of July.
He hadn't been able to extract in a couple of years, and some of the honey
had apparently crystallized in the frames. I could also see while I was
uncapping that some of the frames had been used for brood rearing and that
in some cases there was quite a bit of capped pollen, sealed, around what
had been a brood area but was now full of capped honey. I also didn't
extract from frames that had uncapped honey; they were just returned to his
hives.

At any rate, I ended up with three buckets of this honey. I only use a
standard double metal mesh screen between the extractor and the buckets
(which had to be cleaned a couple of times due to crystallized honey
clogging it and slowing the flow). I wasn't surprised when I started to
bottle the honey and saw that it looked a little cloudy. Warmed it up and
thought that would take care of dissolving the remaining crystals, but the
honey still looks slightly cloudy. Anybody have any other ideas why this
would be? Have never seen this with my own honey, or with another batch of
honey I extracted last year that had crystallization problems.that batch was
crystal clear after it was warmed up.

Janet A. Katz
Chester, NJ