From:
Calum Ewing <EWINGCN@[142.227.141.1]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 16:46:11 -400
Hello,

The Museum of Natural History in Nova Scotia is considering setting up
a demonstration bee hive the help visitors learn about bees,
pollination and insects in general.  Does anyone have any references,
advice or experiences with demonstration hives set up indoors?  We
were wondering things like:

How far are bees willing to travel, say through a plexiglass tube, to
reach the outdoors?

How do they react to lighting of the hive interior (eg. through
plexiglass sides) or movement of people near the hive?

Has anyone had success overwintering bees indoors (we're at
Lat. 44 00 00)?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Please reply
directly to me, or to the list if you think your information may be of
wider interest.

Thanks for your help.

Calum Ewing
Registrar