From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 May 1998 23:23:16 -0400
Gary C. Lewis wrote:
> Hello List,
What exactly is an "Yugoslavian ARS-Y-C-1"? How do they/it differ from
the Italian(all I've ever had)? What is/are "Midnight" and "Starline"? I
have heard this name many times "Buckfast".

        Probably too much to cover well here but in a nutshell-

Yugoslavian ARS-Y-C-1 - "Yugos"- a line of Carniolans recently imported
from Yugoslavia for their reported resistance to tracheal and varroa
mites. No claims regarding varroa at present. I have not tried them but
friends who have say they are a bit aggressive and a bit below par on
honey production.

Italians- large populations, light color, lots of brood, big swarms but
they are not too inclined to swarm, may consume allot of honey,
generally good bees, the favorites in the US for a long time.

Carniolan- Very good bees for over wintering in the north. Very
conservative use of winter stores, dark in color, queens shut down
during nectar dearth, brood very quickly in the spring as soon as there
is pollen. This trait gives them the reputation of being swarmy but that
is not my experience. In fact because of the smaller swarms they throw
you may not even notice it and honey production does not suffer as much
as other types. Good bees when your flows are erratic and spread out
through the season.

Buckfast- Developed by Br. Adam at Buckfast Abbey. Br. Adam selected
bees from from around the globe to create the "Buckfast". You'll just
have to read the book to appreciate this one. They are very good at
wintering and honey production, are gentle, and with a bit of selection
tracheal mite resistance. Good ones are raised in Ontario.

New World Carniolan- Carniolans breed by Sue Coby at Ohio State using
the closed population system. They are produced by several companies in
California. Excellent choice and my personal favorites.

Starlines- Italian like queens breed with a double hybrid system. Select
inbred lines are carefully crossed to produce a line that is an
excellent honey producer, gentle, consistent. Was my favorite until the
tracheal mite got here. I found them to be very susceptible to T-mite
but that may be better now.

Midnight- I don't think they are in production any more. They were
Caucasians produced with a double hybrid system similar to Starline.

Caucasians- very gentle, fair honey production, good wintering, lots of
propylis, the crosses can be vicious.

        Remember these comments are a general description of traits. There is a
great deal of variability in the various breeds and even queens from the
same producer will differ. There are dark Italians and some Carnys are
lighter. Talk to the local experts to see what works for them then try
several to see what suits you.