From:
David Gaida <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 19:40:01 -0500
On Wednesday, Jan 20, George posted his report on the ABF.  Thanks, George.

I have been thinking about his yelling (in caps indicates loud) about
Shim's clearing up any confusion.  Couldn't decide if I should write or
not.  Heck, it is just my honor, but, by Gawd, it is Shim's government job
(Sorry, just a bit of sarcasm).

I am pleased that 'Shim' has reversed himself on the hive beetle.  But I
have checked with a few others that were at the meeting and asked their
impression of the hive beetle.  Most said they were not worried.  One said
he was confused because of what he has read vs. what he heard at the
meeting.  I also was able to listen to a tape that a lady did for husband
who was unable to attend.  They were able to dig it out of the pile, it had
not yet been reused.  And, yes, 'Shim' did say that he did not think the
hive beetle should be a problem.  Except for some commercial beekeepers who
didn't have the time or resources to check and clean all of their hives as
often as needed.

Remember that 'Shim' had just returned from South Africa.  His talk was
about how they took care of the beetle.  But he also said one beekeeper
lost and replaced 100 hives by catching swarms in one year.

There were many followup questions about the beetle.  Such as, what
temperature of water; where you should rinse the frames, will the larvae
that is rinsed off come back to the hives, etc.

One other point, 'Shim' explained that the size of the beetle was just
slightly smaller than the honeybee.  Some who have witnessed the beetles,
say they are much smaller than that.  Perhaps the beetles that 'Shim' saw
in South Africa were not the same.

Bottom Line:  I am pleased that 'Shim' has reversed himself.  I did state
at the beginning of my previous post about that meeting that any errors
would be mine alone in the transcription.  I stand by that.  I am sorry if
I misled you.

Judy in Kentucky