From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:54:53 -0600
Hello Jeremy & All,

> I've been getting started in sideline beekeeping for six years now and I
> still can't see then end in sight.

In my opinion the biggest problems we faced for decades ( honey prices lower
than cost of production and pollination fees very low) are not happening
now.

The hardest part of larger beekeeping is thinking you can work with a crew
*everyday*  and run the business.

 The major lesson that I have learned
> is that just when things seem to be going pretty smoothly, some problem
> always comes up out of no where.

The largest beekeepers use new equipment or very new equipment Most sideline
use older equipment which are prone to breakdown. I use older trucks and at
least one is always broke down. I am on a first name basis with the local
wrecker company.

Preventive maintenance is key. Allen Dick had a full time mechanic. I used
try and do my own mechanic work ( and did replace a motor myself last fall )
but hire most done now including oil changes on small trucks.

  The lesson is expect to have problems
> all the time.

Always expect problems but if feeling overwhelmed you are trying to do too
big a workload yourself.
You need to delegate enough of the work you can plan ahead. keep four or
five game plans so if need be you can switch directions quickly.
I find personality issues between help always a problem. Help does not
always get along.

> A couple weeks ago when we were unloading our third load of bees in the
> almonds and my truck broke down while loaded with bees was an interesting
> experience.

if your asking an opinion. I will give you advice your help would not dare
to give.:

You should have had a plan B in case you broke down.

 > My crew and I sat around for an hour trying to fix the truck
> and then figure out how to explain to anyone over the phone how to find
> the orchard and give us a ride home.

Unless the problem is very simple (like a pin hole leak in a radiator hose
which can be fixed with duct tape most of the time) you need to move to plan
B as quick as possible.

Sitting the hives off in a grove and calling a wrecker works if you are
towing a forklift.
I carry insurance for 100 mile tow.

There was construction on the
> highway and all the signs and identifying markers had been removed making
> it nearly impossible to find at night.

Most cell phone plans now will provide a cell phone with GPS. All wreckers I
use use GPS.
My CPA lets me expense cell phones used for business so I can read BEE-L
while waiting for the wrecker.

> Eventually we found another beekeeper and after helping him unload, had
> him tow our truck around so we could unload our bees.

Bingo! I have never not helped a commercial beekeeper in trouble. You need
to make a pack with another beekeeper if one of you breaks down the other
will help. Remember the road runs both ways for you might get behind if the
need arises but these agreements have always worked for me.
If you make the agreement *before* the season starts all you need do is
contact the beekeeper.
I have made these agreements for years.

  He was another
> young guy like myself, and said he only had 450 hives right now but had
> 1000 hives last year.

Make an agreement Jeremy!

 I asked where they all went and he explained that
> someone (seemingly another beekeeper) had found his holding yard and
> opened all of his lids and sprayed the bees.

The above is rare but I have saw cases but never had happen to me. In the
cases I have seen two main reasons came up.

1. The beekeeper with the sprayed hives hives were bothering a neighbor.

2. The beekeeper with the sprayed hives moved in on another beekeeper
without trying to notify the beekeeper. Usually the sprayed hives are not
marked with a name or contact information.

3. the beekeepers hives died for whatever reason and the beekeeper decides
his bees must have been sprayed. Happens but usually not all hives nor those
numbers. Plenty of spraying going on in California and could have been a
pesticide kill. Beekeepers spray killing hundreds of hives would be very
rare in my opinion but I have heard of two.

This is the world of
> commercial beekeeping that I have found myself in today.  I hope it gets
> better.

Things can always get worse.
Change is about the only thing you can count on in beekeeping.
As long as your bees are alive and thriving and pollination fees & honey
prices stay high the rest seems minor.

Best  of luck in the coming season!

bob