From:
David Tharle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2011 21:01:31 -0700
Wow.  Did this topic ever cause some flash backs......and not
necessarily good ones.  Our season is short on the Canadian Prairies and
as we all know, no matter what you do, it takes 21 days to make a bee.
You've got to get those cycles in before the flow so you shook 2
pounders in late March/early April and 3 pounders after April 20th.  We
can have "dumps" of snow and stretches of days well below freezing right
up to the end of May (Allen not so much, cause he's down in the banana
belt). If you were around before the border closed, you've definitely
hived bees in snow, sleet, mud, rain or a combination.

Besides shaking my own and working with a few of the biggest producers
in Alberta during the late 70s & early 80s, I also acted as a package
distributor for a local bee group for a number of years.  That was very
insightful and Garret you've done the right thing by asking for advice.
Many before you have not been so wise and paid for their cleverness.

Allen has covered it pretty well from my point of view, but I will
comment on a couple things I've read so far.

Dunking combs in syrup really doesn't work that well.   The cells air
lock.  For a small number (couple hundred) of frames use a garden
sprinkler can or hand sprayer (slightly slower) on the face of the comb
over a barrel or tub.  This should be done where you are going to be
hiving the pkgs.  If it is cold do notdrop the frames back into the box
after you've shaken the package in.  You will soak the bees.  This works
great on warm nights when you have everybody crawling, but not so good
when it's cold.

Shake the bees out of the package.  In freezing temperatures bees will
be quite happy to stayed tightly clustered in the cage and parish.  This
method of letting them crawl out was in one of the bee books for a while
(may still be). Every couple years someone would do this in cold weather
and need replacement pkgs on the next truck.  Great for those of us
reselling.

Release the queen.  In cold temps, I have seen bees abandon a caged
queen for food or heat.  One newbie lost 103 out of 104.  At least at
that time they were only about $6.00-$6.50 and more importantly that
year, replacements were available immediately.

If you feed syrup on top with a dummy super in cold weather, use an
inner cover!  You need to hold the heat down on the combs. Again, I've
seen colonies severely chilled when the beekeeper just let the heat
escape up into the dummy box.

If the option exists when you receive your pkgs, it is best to decide
right away about the whether you will be hiving inside or out.  I have
held pkgs, but always felt that those we got onto comb sooner (within 36
hours) than later, did better.  If you are just at freezing or slightly
below, with Environment Canada (gag) predicting the same or improving, I
would go outside. If conditions are deteriorating, I would hive inside.
If you can hold your inside temperature around 0C, you wouldn't need to
be concerned about the lighting, but you will need to move them out
before the space warms up much  (remember bees generate heat; on comb
with syrup a lot of heat to the point you may have to open doors or
windows)  One year we hived 500 in a machine shop before a 3 day spring
blizzard.  At the the end of 3rd day when the wind was dieing down, we
pushed out a couple spring yards and moved the hives out that night.  By
noon the next day the ground was drying out around the pallets and the
bees started making cleansing flights.  They were in awesome shape.

Best of luck
Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB
Canada