From:
Rick Grossman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 1996 08:43:26 +0000
A few days back someone mentioned the size and coloring of the bees in
regards to the AHB. I am sorry for my ignorance on this subject, but was
hoping that being in Oregon I wouldn't have to worry it for a while.  I have
one new colony that was a swarm that moved into an empty hive this past
summer.  The bees are smaller than "normal", black bodies with thin yellow
stripes, and the queen is also mostly (entirely?) black and barely larger in
size than the workers themselves.  They are currently the holders of my
"nasty hive" award (I requeened my other nasty hives).  This hive is much
more aggressive, attacking me incessantly when I disturb the hive.  What to
AHB's look like like and how can one tell if they have them?

As a side note: Since all of my other hives have similar bees, I never
noticed how much intermingling of the bees from different hives goes on.  I
have found these black bees intermingled in the other hives as well as the
regular bees from the other hives now living and working in this new hive.
As far as I can tell, the brood from this hive is of the same strain and the
regular bees have moved in from the other hives, as have some of these
workers moved into those hives.  I have 7 hives as of this summer, all
within 2-3 feet next to each other.