From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:39:53 -0800
Hi All,

I'd like to express a side note here.  Although I poke Bob for what appears
to me to be close-mindedness on the neonic issue, I want to be clear to all
as to the great respect that I have for him, and that I debate him only in
the interest of better understanding of subjects.  I listen to everything
that Bob says carefully and openly.

In this particular case, I have not found that the existing data make a
strong case against the neonicotinoids.  However, that is a far cry from
saying that Bob is wrong in his conclusion that they might cause problems.
All it would take to convince me to his argument is supportive additional
data.

I enjoy debate without acrimony, as a tool for testing ideas.  I admire
Bob's perseverence and know that anything that he says is for the betterment
of the bee industry.

Bob, my friend, let me offer a quote that I feel may be appropriate:

All truth passes through three stages.  First, it is ridiculed, second, it
is violently opposed, third, it is accepted as being self-evident.  --Arthur
Schopenhauer
Perhaps in the future we will look back and see how correct your suspicions
were.  Or perhaps just the opposite.

In my opinion, lively informed discussion is a great way to help determine
how we should direct our research.  Thank you, Bob!

And thank you Aaron, for providing this format to discuss the issues that we
deal with in beekeeping.

Randy Oliver
Pensive in California