From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2012 15:04:31 -0600
Hello Don & All,
I guess I might be the best to answer as I keep bees in your area.
I guess migrating to grass Valley, California is out as our fellow BEE-L
member says there is no room for us Don.

>Ok, I'm in the middle of the drought area.

Actually we are on the northern tip. One would need to go around 200 miles
north to find greener pastures. Northern Nebraska & Iowa.

>Bees are in good shape, with plenty of extra stores going into winter and
>all bedded down. 41 hives amongst 3 yards, mix of suburbs, wildflower
>pastures, and soybean crop land.

 Good!

Preparing your bees as if we might get the worst of winters is one key of
wintering here. I would reduce all entrances and keep an eye on stores in
early February.

>What is going to be my best strategy to weather the drought?

My situation is very different than yours but will try to advise.

Make sure water is available to your bees. In drought bees carry and use
lots
of water.
 Robbing goes on big time when flowers are in short supply.
Small hive beetles are supposed to be less in drought years but not what we
saw in the area this year.
*If* you are content to simply keep your hive numbers up and not get a
maximum honey crop then super the strongest and feed the weak. If you want
to increase forget honey and split.
split early while still plenty of early flow. Once queens are set you can
bring the size up even with drought conditions through  feeding.
Keep in mind bees are not fooled easily. In drought the tendency is to
reduce population.
Pollen patties might be needed at times.

I have been through three Missouri official droughts. One year I simply fed
bees all year.

My Missouri hives are in an all weather 35 acre rock quarry. North rock wall
to block the wind. Set back from the trees far enough to get sun all day.
part of the quarry is flooded providing clean water. I have never saw dry
yet.

The hives will stay until ready to move onto yards. Once places to use are
picked the hives are moved. I have yards in many counties and even in other
states (but none in Grass valley, California).

I read your post awhile back about your honey crop. I also had a better crop
this year than last but your best yard one year can be your worst the next.
I choose carefully the locations I use.

My past experience in the area (decades) has been drought last two years
with the first year of the drought being the best and the second very poor
with the drought ending with downpours in the third spring. if our area
drought continues I would expect a poor year for our area or like the last
two years with the crop coming early and then flowers drying up.

We had some serious downpours in March (not drought breakers) last year but
then things began to dry out.

I have friends in Oklahoma and Texas which have said they are in the fifth
year of drought. Being on the northern drought fringe hopefully we will see
relief
in spring.

The jet stream normally sets Midwest weather patterns. Cold air meets warm
and produces rain. Not so lately. Even if rain is produced usually only a
trace.

Hope the above helps.

bob