From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 22:38:12 +0900
>This message is probably directed more at the temperate and tropical
>zone people who have knowledge of the australian acacia flowers.
>
>In my part of south africa we have a bit of an invasion of the
>australina acacia, acacia longifolia. I have four beehives in an area
>surrounded bby this plant that are doing mindblowingly well. (Middle
>of winter and have just filled a deep super each in two weeks.)
>
>The only reason I can think of for this happening is the acacia's
>which are in flower. The problem is that I have been told that acacia
>l is only good for pollen?

Yes, and different varieties of acacia vary in the quantity and quality of
pollen.  Acacias do have extra-floral nectaries (the book says) which
secrete nectar when conditions are right but this is more of biological
interest than use to beekeepers.  They may attract and stimulate bees but do
not provide honey crops.  An abundance of good quality pollen will certainly
stimulate brood rearing but it takes 6 - 8 weeks for the number of field
bees to increase.  In this part of South Australia the acacias have just
commenced flowering.  I do not see bees on them but I do see yellow pollen
being brought into hives.

>Also, these bees are rather aggressive. I opened one hive and they
>went AWOL stinging things up to a hundred meters away, so maybe
>whatever flow it is it has contaminants of isopentyl acetate or
>something in it too?

I find bees more aggressive at the commencement of the season when it is not
warm enough for the majority of field bees to be out and about. If one hive
shows aggression and the others in the apiary on the same day are
manageable, I make a note to requeen the trouble maker.  We had our first
day working hives yesterday and when opening hives before the day had warmed
above 16 degrees C. noted that bees would take off and cling to first
objects they came to - which were two people in bee overalls.  Once in
position they were difficult to dislodge, leading to a number of stings and
one crawler through a carelessly fastened zip.  I was pleased to discover my
immunity level has not dropped.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island