From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2013 11:20:36 -0400
Here's a question for the List and specifically for Peter Borst, who has apparently unlimited library access and resources (at least, he's got far more at hand than my Univ, where the bee materials take up a small part of one shelf).

When bees were mainly kept in SKEPS in the US, I see statements that often the colonies were killed with sulfur, and the combs destroyed. I've also even seen comments about using a vice to crush the whole skep, with combs inside.  In more modern times, those bee havers who  want to resurrect keeping bees in Skeps, which is illegal in the US, advocate shaking bees from the hive to be harvested onto a weaker colony.  I fundamentally disagree with keeping bees in any type of hive that restricts inspection - I don't consider that beekeeping.

So, my question - when harvest and destroy of Skeps prevailed, what percentage of the colonies kept in Skeps were typically destroyed on an annual basis?

I've heard everything  from "100% (re-stocking was accomplished by capturing feral colonies)" to "I haven't a clue".  Obviously, either  they re-stocked from ferals OR had to exercise some limits as to how many hives could be depopulated each year and yet have enough the next year to continue keeping bees.

I'm looking for some factual information.  Looking to people like Peter to help me find citations other than some 'back to nature' blog.

J.J. Bromenshenk
Bee Alert
Missoula, Mt