From:
Robert Hayes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 15:02:50 -0500
Great find Bruce Kemp!
        The feral bees are mostly extinct here in eastern Pa. and I hope
that you can succeed in preserving this possiby resistant genetic variety .
        If you can persuade the colony to bring the queen out and start
laying brood in a hive box you might be able to produce queens from this.
If so, I'm sure alot of us on this list would be willing to
re-queen and help test out & multiply the strain.
        I'd suggest the following:
1) close down the opening in the tree to one which can be covered with an
inverted cone of window screening sticking out about a foot and 1/2 or so
with the end of the cone reduced to allow the exit of a bee at a time.
2) securely position a full depth brood super ( with full covers, base etc.)
high enough to be nearer to the old opening than the new opening at the end
of that inverted cone of screen.  You might make a little 2x4 platform
first.
3) into the hive body you can put fully drawn out comb that's had a freezer
treatment to extinguish mites and some new regular foundation too.
4) wait a day as the field bees start to fill up the new hive and then
5) over the next few days stuff foam in the opening, inpect & occaisionally
start taking away the honey collected and the bees to another location.
6) be careful to notice when the new hive has started to have a
population of young nurse bees and when the comb starts to be
layed out with areas for the queen to lay eggs!  If there's eggs visible,
she may still be in the new box!
If so, keep the opening stuffed with the foam rubber and move it to
the new location to confirm ( don't forget to replace with another new
equipment set-up).  Feed them while confirming.
7) If the original hive spins off a new queen - try to capture it in the
same way.  Repeat this several times - as long as the farmer lets you get
away with it.  *Remember: it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
8) Next year (late) when you begin the destructive techniques with the chain
saw, seek out whole brood areas to cut into frame-sized rectangles held into
open frames with 3 or so good rubber bands ( cut out so they'll be oriented
the same way top to bottom, etc. as possible ) Each brood hive frame you
dig out could either have the queen or brood enough for your young gals to
make one or more new queens for nucs.
I hope someone else on this list has some good thoughts.
best wishes,
Bob Hayes <[log in to unmask]>