From:
Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 1995 18:53:59 +0000
On Wed, 8 Nov 1995, Aaron Morris wrote:

> .... the list agreed that
> proper use of the "Subject:" header should be sufficient to keep the
> list functioning well.  A header of "Science" would be a sentinel to the
> researchers and a subject heading of "Beekeeping" would be a sentinel to
> those who reside outside of the ivory tower.  Unfortunately, this
> protocol was not followed (much like including your geographic location
> in your signature)....

I've been on the list about 18 months and I don't think I've ever
seen that specific suggestion posted --  there are a number of
other keywords that could also be useful, e.g. Science: Varroa,
Beekeeping: Swarms and so on.

Could we add a guideline like this into the faq for bee-l/sci.ag.b
(and maybe socinsct etc.), perhaps together with the *intended*
uses of the venues?  This should help to guide people gently in the
'right' direction.

Does the listserver send (or offer) the faq when one subscribes?
If not, could it?

As the person whom I think _really_ triggered that long discussion
(Allen Dick 'admitted guilt', but he was responding to a post of
mine at the time), can I also offer my apologies for the resulting
clutter, although I don't apologise for my concern.

I must have _just_ missed the 1994 discussions, although I do
remember some odd postings about 'that dead horse'.

Regards,
--
Gordon Scott   [log in to unmask]   Hampshire, England.
               Beekeeper; Kendo 3rd Dan; Sometime sailor.