From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 20:48:43 -0500
On  7 Apr 97 at 15:00, Jim Moore DTN276-9448 ogo1/e1 wrote: Another
Africanized bee question

>         I have another question the the "Killer Bee" show has raised. I showed
> a migratory beekeeper in Arizona (I can't recall his name) killing the queen of
> an aggressive (Africanized?) hive and requeening, before leaving the area.
>
>         Assuming the Africanized drones are more at fault for the spread on the
> Africanized bee it would seem like transporting live drones and drone brood
> from a just requeened Africanized hive is contributing to the spread of the
> Africanized genes.
>
>         What is the standard practice of migratory beekeepers to cull out
> Africanized bees when leaving Africanized areas for points west, north and
> east?

In my opinion you are correct. There was a report that there was a
sighting of Africans in Maine. Don't know how true is was, but?
Won't be long before others are complaining of strange happenings! This
might be the reason for just a little of the strange reports from 'Down
South'.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive Unit 2, Orillia,
Ontario, Canada. L3V 6H1
David Eyre, Owner. Phone/Fax 705 326 7171
Dealers for E.H.Thorne & B.J.Sherriff UK
http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks