From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 16:19:54 EDT
Jim and Randy

Much of this was covered in work by the Germans - one poor soul marked bees
and followed their life span, longevity - using feeders at various distances,
etc.

The conclusion was that bees more or less had a built in odometer - when
they log the set number of kilometers (or miles if you're looking at a U.S.
bee), they expire.  In good foraging weather, this averaged out to about  10-12
flight days.  In spring and fall, if you assume bees don't fly 10-12  days
consecutively, you can build a reasonable model of bee longevity.

I double checked these estimates against lots of studies of marked  bees.
Virtually none of the researchers marking bees had bothered to  reference the
German work.  However, the 10-12 days, or flight distance  numbers (about 800
kilometer if memory serves - don't quote me on  this) held up for most reports.
Appears that the German work holds  up.

Jerry