From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2018 08:49:34 -0500
> Animals have a very long history of evolving or being bred for resistance to parasites

Hi all
I hesitate to use the term "extinction" vis a vis, the honey bee, because I am well aware that in certain regions it is thriving beyond our wildest expectations. However, no species is immune to extinction; survival is never assured.

> Environmental variation is becoming more frequent and unpredictable as a consequence of climate change, yet we currently lack the tools to evaluate the extent to which organisms may adapt to this phenomenon. Here we develop a model that explores these issues and use it to study how changes in the timescale and predictability of environmental variation may ultimately affect population viability.

> Our model indicates that, although populations can often cope with fairly large changes in these environmental parameters, on occasion they will collapse abruptly and go extinct. We characterize the conditions under which these evolutionary tipping points occur and discuss how vulnerability to such cryptic threats may depend on the genetic architecture and life history of the organisms involved.

> our simulations indicate that evolution can easily accommodate rather large changes in environmental signatures if the same general strategy for phenotypic expression is appropriate before and after the change. However, it also shows that populations will decline rapidly and tend to go extinct whenever they are forced into situations where their current strategy is no longer appropriate

Botero, Carlos A., et al. "Evolutionary tipping points in the capacity to adapt to environmental change." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 112.1 (2015): 184-189.