From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:37:09 -0500
> If FGMO worked on either varroa mites or tracheal mites, much less both of
> them,
> pray tell why was it not endorsed by Beltsville Bee Lab, ARS, AAPA, or any of
> those
> Extension Service scientists or university bee researchers?

Found at:
http://www.expert-forum.com/carlhayden_25/_frontend/search.asp?language=1&ca
tegory=0&topic=0&order=0&total=312&records=10&page=2

-----
Date: 07/17/2002

Question:
I was recently on a website (www.beesource.com) and found a lot of
information on using food grade mineral oil for the control of Varroa mites.
Have you any opinions about this?

Reply:
Dr. Eric H. Erickson: It has long been known that many oils are good
insecticides and miticides. In the early 1980s, it was discovered that
cooking oil was effective against tracheal mites. It is believed that the
oils compromise the mite's (and insect's) ability to breathe. We are aware
that some beekeepers are using various oils to control varroa and feel that
they are having success. The problem lies in achieving mite control with out
harming/killing bees. We know of no controlled scientific studies that
provide meaningful information on rate and method of application and, more
specifically, how these issues relate to effective mite control and bee
safety. We do know that the specialized respiratory system of varroa allows
them to float unharmed on their back for long periods of time.