From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 2008 21:19:46 -0400
On 26-Oct-08, at 9:55 AM, Peter L Borst wrote:

>> , so I recommend dividing every hive in the spring.
> If they bounce back quickly you can do more dividing in the summer

Hi Peter and all

Great answer Peter!  I have read several times about splitting the
queen and all the uncapped brood(with covering nurse bees) to a new
location just before the main honey flow, leaving the original
location with no brood to care for and additional emerging workers to
join the foraging force.  A queen cell is given to the original
hive.  The proponents, CC Miller, Warre and others, suggest that this
hive will produce larger honey crops.  I believe that with varroa
today the 2 week break in brood is almost as good a reason.  The
split hive will likely be strong enough for the goldenrod flow.  Any
experience? Opinions?

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada