From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 15:15:11 -0600
> I have heard of using burlap instead of an inner cover. At $.30 compared
> to $6.50 for wood it is certainly cheaper. Of course a wooden one could
> be substituted for drip-feeding or with an escape if those methods are
> used, but are there any other advantages/disadvantages to using burlap?

We do use burlap where we do not use plastic pillows.  We have given up
wood because of gaps and propolization and the need for scraping -- and
also the fact that wood squashes bees unless extra care is taken.

The only real problem we have found is that burlap is not good for
wintering under wood because burlap holds moisture and moulds.  If there
is sufficient provision for breathing above the burlap, it works well in
winter too.

Although burlap allows for putting queen cages on top bars for queen intro
and also permits insertion of grease or pollen patties when required,
using TM dust is a problem because the bees do not get to the drug unless
sticks or some such are placed close to the dust to hold the sack up so
the bees can get to it.  Folding sacks to fit the top of a hive can also
be a bit of a nuisance sometimes until they get creased and gummed up and
stay in the correct shape.

Allen