From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2019 17:13:30 -0600
a randy Oliver snip followed by > my comments...
I'm often appalled by the mislabeling of honeys as to floral source.  The
ones who would know what a pure varietal honey actually tastes like are the
beekeepers who are sampling it from the comb right during a middle of the
flow from that particular species.

>I agree and to be quite up front have never placed much faith in varieties honey.  From what I can recall of at least one of Dr Vaughn Bryants talks most varietal honey that he id's for producers (I seem to recall it was tupelo) contain several other pollens.  He has some formula to justify id'ing a honey as varietal.

>I also suspect that taste is not such a good method of identifying a variety of honey... Human taste buds are just not that exact.  I do a taste test with customer of some very old honey I have here and I may get a dozen description of what that honey taste like.. And as far as I can tell a lot of the taste associated with honey tend to degrade over a fairly short time span.

>When asked???? I tell folks that given I keep bees in large cattle pastures about the best name I would call my honey is 'wildflower'.  I do NOT describe it as such on my label.  As long as the taste of the honey is pleasant 'Local' seem to be a good marketing term.

Gene in Central Texas...