From:
George_Willy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 1996 22:15:20 +0500
>        I'm intending to construct some supers this winter
>ans have purchased some 1x10 rough cut lumber. This contains
>knots larger and 2.5 inches. I expect I will cut around the
>largest knots and get relativley clear pieces.
>
>        My question relates to the unplaned nature of the wood.
>Are there reasons not to use this rough surface for the interior
>or exterior of the hive?
>
>        Painting the rough exterior will take more stain/paint.
>This is the only downside I can think of.
>
>        Comments anyone? Thanks
>
>        Jim Moore

 Jim:
        Not a good idea. You would be better off to pay the price and bring
the lumber back and have it plained down to 7/8" or 3/4". Reasons are
several. Exterior will grab extra weather and will deteriorate faster.
Weight is crutial when loaded with necter or capped honey. Interior sides
need to be smooth or the bees wil load it up with propolus and burr comb.
This will make managing the hives more difficult and the open time will be
prolonged due to trying to clean them up. I varnish the interior of my
deeps well before use to help prevent bacterial penitration into the wood
itself. Plaining of rough lumber around here costs about .02 per bd ft.
well worth the cost. Good luck
        George
Addition.
        In continuing to read my mail I came across Chris Allens reply. He
is right. Bees will set up home anywhere however those bees are considered
wild and not managed.