From:
Carolyn Ehle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:00:46 -0500
I started my motley genetic mix of bees in 1997 with 13 recently
requeened Buckfast hives from a wonderful old-timer.   For about 5 years
I kept track of the matrilines as I made increases from swarm cells from
these and other bees I imported and put into the survivor selection.
Both of the two matrilines that had alternate generations of pretty
snarky bees were commercial Italian.  However, there were Buckfast
drones available.

I do think the Buckfast helped my efforts to restore genetic diversity
to the stock in this isolated Western Piedmont SC area.  I'm going into
my 12th year with no treatments except feed.  Should I live so long as
to retire I'll have more time to discuss my experiences with 25-50 hives
that get a lot of benign neglect but still out-survive most of the
commercial stock, including various 'resistant' lines tho I've brought
many such lines into the mix.  I also added Russian hybrids to the mix
since the first year they were available, and many of their
characteristics dominate.

Now if we could just get a summer with rain.....>

--
Carolyn in SC
http://community.webshots.com/user/woodwidgeon