Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 22:02:26 +0000
Eunice D. Wonnacott wrote:

> >Does anyone have any advice,pro or con,on using tartaric acid in sugar syrup?
> >It is advertised in the Betterbee catalog this year.The ad states that "when
> >added to sugar syrup,helps to keep the sugar in solution and makes it easier
> >for the bees to metabolize the sugar."  Any comments? Thanks
> >                            Garry Libby    [log in to unmask]
> >

> This is also known as  cream of tartar, and is used in combination with
> sodium bicarbonate to produce baking powder.>(  Am I correct in this??)  If
> this is accurate, then it is used in some icings (cooked) to prevent
> granulation ;of the sugar.  (FWIW)
>
>         EDWDear Garry
I have never heard of tartaric acid being used in syrup but I have used
it when making sugar candy (emergency feed) The receipt which used to be
in Thorne's catalogue is - 1 pt of water, 6lbs of sugar and 1teaspoon of
cream of tartar.  I have never questioned this and assume that the cream
of tartar made the candy softer.  I have never noticed any ill effects
on the bees.  I have often given the bees a block of candy at christmas.

Harry