From:
JB SHEPHEARD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 1995 07:56:07 -0500
>As I have some plywood around the yard, is it ok to use plywood for the
>outer cover and bottom board of a hive?
>
>Thanks,
>Kelley

Kelley;

Plywood works fine for most components of a hive.  You should however, make
sure it gets a good coat of paint for both the bottom board and outer cover.
In addition the outer cover should be covered with in order of preference;
metal, shingles, tar paper or an extra coat of paint.  You can get metal
skins or covers from the bee supply store.  The only other caution I have
regarding plywood is that porcupines love the stuff and will chew through
metal and paint to get it.  So if you have a porcupine population near your
hives you may want to reconsider or at least test the porcupines appetite first.

Good luck ............. Jim>