From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 07:33:42 -0500
Kurt said:
I follow the list closely and learn much from the postings. Sometimes I pick
up valuable information, sometimes I laugh aloud, sometimes the postings are
long winded.

I do not have time today as busy with bee work to pull up my prior post (
yesterday I typed my name into a archive search and got 1035 hits) but FGMO
was tested by three noted beekeepers.

The beekeeper in charge had two master beekeeping certificates.

Kurt said:
I am sure this has been stated before, but I can not let this go by without
commenting. I have used FGMO with no other chemicals for 2 years with great
success.

Most hives will go two years without varroa treatment. Too early for you to
call your treatment a success.

Kurt said:
I am not sure why the test in Missouri was a failure, but it is
obviously not that way for all of us. Many that use FGMO are simply looking
for a way to get the harsh chemicals out of the hives and away from our
bees.

Tymol is  harsh. Using thymol while supers are on  has never been used
before until Dr. R. decided to use thymol in his cord formula.

Kurt said:
I would question the use of Thymol being "untested." Or do you simply mean
because it hasnt been tested by someone of your choosing?

I have no problem with FGMO as the use of mineral oil in hives causes no
problem that I can see. I wish the effacy of FGMO was higher so I could use
and recommend FGMo myself.

It is the use of thymol *all year long and when the supers are on* I have an
objection too . Dr. R. says in the article on page 728  that the whole
thymol/FGMO is simply a trial so far.

I recommend to do the trial, test the honey/wax for contamination and then
publish your findings.

Kurt said:
Although this trial is I believe that everyone has the honeybee's best
interest at heart, we just pursue it differently.

Just because Dr. R. wants FGMO to be the magic bullet we are all looking for
will not make it so. If FGMO worked so great why is Dr. R. always looking
for a way to improve efficacy? Every year his methods have changed.

1. mineral oil alone
2.added the fogger
3.added  the cords
4.added honey & beeswax
5. adding thymol

I do not have a problem with Dr. R. and respect his and other people  trying
to find a low cost , simple and easy way to control varroa.

Bob