Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 18:54:27 -0700
Hi All
    Tom asked about using water.

-----Original Message-----
From: Computer Software Solutions Ltd <[log in to unmask]>

>What do the list think of using water rather than smoke when handling bees.
>A friend of mine uses it most of the time and swears by it. He claims that
>smoking bees causes severe disruption to their working, and that it takes
>many hours before the working tempo of the hive returns to normal.
>
>I tried it out today, using a fine spray to put a 'mist' on the bees, and
it
>seemed to me to be about the same as smoke. ....... I am going to try
putting a small amount of sugar in the water next time.

    I myself have used water when working my bees and when sprayed in a fine
mist, it does not seem to hurt a thing. It also seems to quiet them down
some. Of course, one should not drown them.
    I use a little sugar in the mix and when I combined a weak hive to a
strong one, after the queen has been removed, I add a drop or two of vanilla
extract. This also quiets them down by changing the smell of both to the
same smell, as well as to give them something to do by removing the sugar
from each other. Usually the combining hive is much smaller then the new
host. It will eliminate the need for paper. Maybe others have tried this
method. Would be happy to hear any and all about this.

Joe McManus
Loving You Honey Farms
Bremerton, WA. USA
mcmanus@budsters