From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:38:16 -0400
Drew LeWay wrote:
> I use queen excluders although they may reduce my honey output in the
> supers.  If this is the case, what if I cut a 2in by 2in hole on each of the corners of the excluder.  Would this help the workers to travel more freely or would this just destroy a good excluder?

        The excluder will not reduce your crop in most cases. If you think its
holding things back you can remove it after there is a good wide band of
honey at the top of the center frames of the upper brood box. The queen
will usually not cross the honey to lay above. We do use excluders but
don't have enough of each hive so we keep a full super of honey over the
brood nest and the queen stays below.