From:
Jerry Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:46:12 EDT
I've only had one occasion where I believe my bees collected  honeydew.  The
spring was extremely wet with rain every day in April and up  to last week of
May when the rain stopped.  I ended up harvesting several  supers of very dark
honey that the bees produced from late May to mid June after  the rain
stopped.
The honey was very dark with a tangy almost molasses like aftertaste.   I
have a sample that has not gone to sugar and shows very little  granulation going
into the 5th year nor has it spoiled.

Speaking of a weird honey, I've received several reports coming  from North
Georgia that beekeepers there are finding hives with  supers of a clear water
white or yellowish honey with a motor oil  smell/awful taste.  Ended up being
identified as mountain  laurel/rhododendron, a honey with toxic effects if too
much is  ingested. Very unusual, but a late frost killed many normal nectar
sources and I  suspect dry weather also contributed to a dearth of other nectar
plants.

Jerry Wallace
Atlanta, GA