From:
Joe Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:13:58 -0600
In regards to Canadians being dissatisfied with NZ packages.  The last
few years I've been using NZ packages and found very good results with
honey production and with wintering.  Last year I bought 50 packages
from NZ and the next spring I only had a 3% loss, so I was pretty happy
with that.
  But now that NZ is closed there still is no evidence that an open
border to USA would benefit the Canadian beekeepers.  Many beekeepers
here already are self sufficient in regards to raising their own Queens
and making up their wintering losses.  The only reason why NZ packages
came to Canada is it was easier for us, but now that option isn't there
and some spectulation that Australia won't be able to supply the need it
will force us to change and learn to raise our own and the owns that
don't will buy them from their nieghbor beekeeper who is raising surplus
queens.
Joe Edwards
Up north