From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 13:56:26 -0600
Bill Truesdell wrote:

> This is another subject that was covered fairly extensively in the past.

wes the issue resolved to your satifaction?

> I was and still am a believer that small cell size helps in combating
> Varroa, but there are no studies that back up my guess. Instead, the only
> formal study that I have seen says cell size has no effect. It was done in
> Sweden many years ago. I thought the study was not that rigorous.

Is study being held back because of the lack of foundation of small
sizes to try?

> But... there are trials being conducted somewhere in the south west with
> small cell size. Have heard little since the beginning of the trial, even
> though much was made about it, I think in Gleanings.

Dee Lusby

> The supposition is that with smaller cell size, you get earlier emergence
> of workers so the mite does not develop- except in drone brood, and even
> there less since they also emerge earlier. At least that is the theory.

earlier emergence will not stop varroa as there is still plenty of time
for the mites to reproduce in all bees discused.
My whole theory is based on two points.

 1. A cell size the size of apis cerana will KEEP varroa from
reproducing in winter and anytime during the year bees are not raising
drones. According to pg. 22 of Varroa Handbook this is exactly why
Varroa  isn't a hugh problem with apis cerana.

2. "Varroa mites outside brood cells must draw the blood of adult bees"
quote from pg. 9 of varroa handbook

Varroa has a hard time getting to the blood as stated in previous email
and even is part of the reason some fall off. Floor screens as Ipm  as
put forth by "Shiminuki". I believe the smaller target will make it even
harder for varroa to feed on a much smaller bee.
Varroa Mites have survived for up to 7 days without the colony so we can
assume, that one feed in the hive can also provide sufficient energy for
a similar period. Quote pg. 9 Varroa Handbook.

Many of our leading researchers have said to me everything you need to
know about varroa is in "The Varroa Handbook" by Bernard Mobus and Larry
Conner.

My hardest question has been why varroa switched from apis cerana to
apis melliferia after centuries. Even our best bee researchers were
shocked at varroa's march across the world.
Varroa jacobsoni first discovered in North America on Sept. 25, 1987 in
Wisconsin. resistance to fluvalinate in about the same amount of years
as  in Europe.

Everytime history repeats itself the price goes up !
Bob Harrison   2000 AD