From:
Walter Patton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 15:52:44 -1000
To avoid any confusion there is no honey being made from any sugar cane
stumps in Hawaii. By the way what would be the correct name for honey made
from sugar cane seeping or syrup. Would this be a type of honey dew some
help please. I only ask as I have heard in the early days of sugar cane
there was a borer type of pest that would bore into the cane and the bees
went after this juice that came from the borer hole. In the old days the
local ethnic group of Portagees really like the product that the bees made
as they used it in the production of a strong Portuguese dark wine . The
problem of the cane borer was solved
with the introduction of a beneficial insect for control and that was the
end of beekeeping in the sugar acne production areas.

Walter & Elisabeth Patton
Hale Lamalani-Bed & Breakfast
Hawaiian Honey House-Honey Packers
27-703 A. Ka`ie`ie Homestead Rd.
Papaikou,HI.96781
"The Bee Hive The Fountain Of Youth And Health"