From:
Graham Law <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 04:46:40 -0500
Quote from Sarah Grew
"Has anyone got experience with big (huge) observation hives?  I am curious
about this possibility.  Specifically, is it possible to have a self
sustaining observation hive.  How could the bees form a winter cluster..."

Sarah

Don't believe rumours that bees can't cluster in an observation hive, they
come pretty close...
The first time I over wintered an ob hive I was very puzzled because the
population would drop than miraculously pick up again! , all in a period of
24 hours.  After closer inspection I could see that when the
population 'appeared' to fall that actually nearly every cell towards the
centre of the colony was occupied with dormant bees.  With both sides of
the comb occupied like this a large number of bees seemed to disappear.   I
guess this is actually what bees do in a normal hive as tucked up within a
cell with bees on seven sides out of eight has got to be the smart way of
doing it.  Our house heating system cycling the temperature (bad for bees)
caused this pattern to break with the bees sitting on top of the comb when
the temperature was higher.

Very large observation hives experiences
A colleague in my local assoc stared a full size ob hive consisting of a
glass box sized about 3 brood boxes in volume.  This built up over 3 years
to be a very powerful colony with all natural comb with a tree branch
embedded within it.  This was a great attraction local shows.  However we
were starting to scratch our head just how we were going to maintain this
monster when the whole thing sadly collapsed due to over heating.  We'll
learn.  But difficult maintenance is a factor to consider if this is the
sort of thing you have in mind.

I run observation hives all year round which are only 2 brood + 1 super
frame and the only real attention is:
1/ To keep an eye on their stores especially through the early spring.
2/ They don't over populate
3/ Varroa treatment, like any colony now (uk).
4/ Once a year cleanout usually combined with 2 or 3 above.
Cheers
Graham