From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 20:48:36 -0400
>  In the case of waxworm in brood,,,
>Are waxworm responsible for uncapping the cells or the bees?
>I have heard some say that it is hygienic bees going after the worm, but I
>often still discover a worm under the cappings near the uncapped portion
>of cells. So this suggests to me that hygenic behavior is perhaps not
>responsible for the uncapping.
>Joe

 >>Some colonies seem to allow waxmoth a free run of the brood nest,
whereas others remove them. I have always thought that tolerance of
wax moth is a good measure of the hygienic behaviour of a colony -
Peter Edwards<<

It suggest to me that your colony is not very hygienic. I see tow
examples in my colonies.

In the first, the worm burrows along and just below the surface of
the brood caps. You can see the web tunnel. Perhaps the worm has
eaten the caps? There seems to be no attempt by the bees to remove
the worm...until you run your hive tool along the tunnel. When the
worm pops out, the bees go for it.

In the second, the bees have uncapped the brood leaving what some
call bald brood. The worm is often gone in this case.

I would say the former is not hygienic, while the latter is.
Mike