From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2008 17:05:24 -0700

> >I agree that hives as strong as he suggests should command a higher price
> but to suggest that all hives going into almonds need to be at such a level
> does not make sense.

Hi Bob,

Although I am loathe to speak for others, that broker  does not suggest that
all hives be at 8-frame level, and in fact offered 4-frame colonies last
year at "discount."  He had essentially had zero takers among the growers
that he supplies bees to.

The California market is wide open--no one controls the prices.  You can
offer whatever you've got, and will likely find a taker.

However, research data, both published, and yet to be published, have made
it clear that an 8-framer moves two to four times as much pollen as a
4-framer, and should therefore rent for two to four times as much.

However, some growers are afraid to replace three 4-framers with one
8-framer, although the strong colony would do as much work.

I personally would be happy to see you get $100 for your 4-framers, and for
me to get $300 for my 10-12-framers.

The real issue is going to be the cost of hauling four frames of bees to
California.  Your suggestion of shaking a single box full of bees is good.
Ship the most bees possible for the freight.  However, for them to be
efficient pollinators, they'd need a second brood chamber to maintain
necessary space.

I understand the problem of returning with busting out colonies.  But that
is not the problem of the person paying the rent.  As you said before, that
broker only controls a small percentage of the colonies placed.  Another
broker actually places more bees.  And many beekeepers place their own.

The better brokers simply respond to the requests of those beekeepers with
strong colonies to be paid accordingly.  Four-frame colonies set the
foundation for price, and many growers will take them.

If I didn't get a premium for my 12-framers, I'd just split them three ways,
and get paid for three four framers out of each.  But it would be more
reasonable to simply be paid more.

Bob, the price is set by the market forces of supply and demand, not by any
individual.

You are welcome to haul your bees to California (feel free to stop by one of
our Agricultural inspection stations for a change).  You are free to charge
whatever you want, for whatever strength colonies you want.  Plenty of
4-framers get placed.  No reason to hammer on any particular broker.

Look me up when you're out here!

Randy Oliver