From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2018 19:31:37 -0800
>I will try again to clarify my proposal and then let it go.

Couldn't have summed it up better myself, Paul : )

Glenn, I agree that traditional management to minimize swarming, and some
splitting in spring wouldn't be considered as :"treatments."

However, saying that one accepts 30-40% losses each season to varroa/virus
may be considered success by those not needing to make a living from their
bees, but I'd have a hard time calling that "progress" or "successful
beekeeping" or "good animal husbandry."

Bees, beekeepers, and beekeeping are all very much in the middle of an
evolutionary process as we adapt to this novel parasite.  The question to
ask oneself is whether one is actually doing something constructive, or
just managing to get along?

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA