From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 17:11:50 -0800
Peter Borst wrote:

> Our food is heavily contaminated as it is.

I disagree.  For example, here in California, over half the tonnage of
dried fruit and nut crops we produce is exported to Japan, Europe
and other affluent countries. These countries test our exports for pesticide
residues and refuse them if they exceed certain strict limits.  In addition,
our own laboratories are constantly testing for pesticide residues.

More importantly, what scientific evidence is there that trace
amounts of synthetic pesticides and industrial chemicals in foods are
something to fear and  worry about?

People are healthier and live longer in Okinawa, Japan than
in any other developed country. Medical scientists attribute this to diet and
lifestyle, not lack of exposure to trace amounts of synthetic
pesticides and industrial chemicals (see excerpts from study below).
http://www.stopgettingsick.com/templates/news_template.cfm/4100

"No country on earth has a longer life expectancy than Japan,
and nowhere in Japan do people live longer than they do on
sun-drenched Okinawa, a coral-ringed island just north of Taiwan."

"Heart disease and strokes are rare. Cancer rates are low.
It [Okinawa] was one of the bloodiest battlefields of World
War II, and today is the poorest of all of Japan's provinces."

"Still, Okinawa's health figures are impressive.
According to the Health Ministry, the average life expectancy
on Okinawa is 81.2 years _ 86 for women, 75 for
men _ the highest in the world."

"Okinawa also has an unusually high concentration of people
100 years or older. There are 34 for every 100,000 people.
The equivalent figure for the United States is about
10 in 100,000."

"Okinawans suffer 80 percent fewer heart attacks than
North Americans, and are twice as likely to survive one if
they do. Stroke, hormone-related cancers and dementia
are rare."

"Okinawans living in Brazil and elsewhere overseas have
lower life expectancies, the authors note."

"Of more importance, they say, is the Okinawan diet,
which is very heavy on fruits, vegetables, fish
and moderation. Another factor is the low level of stress
felt by old people."

Paul Cherubini