From:
"Brian G. Merrill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 18:54:57 -0400
Hello Bee-L,

I'd like to get everyone's consensus on what is a reasonable amount of time
to wait for a refund after an order for package bees is cancelled.

I ordered 30 packages of bees from Smokey Mountain Bee Company on Feb. 12,
1996 after corresponding with David Winters via e-mail
([log in to unmask]) on the Internet.  Based on their requirements, on
Feb. 13 I sent them a check for 25% of the order ($250) to book the order
for shipment during the first week of May.

Early in April I received a letter from Smokey Mountain confirming my order,
informing me that final payment must be received by April 15 and that the
order was scheduled to be shipped May 6, 1996.  I had sent the payment on
April 8, prior to receiving the letter (This check cleared my bank 4/16/96).

May 9, expecting the packages to arrive, I called Smokey Mountain.  I was
told by the women that answered that shipments of packages were at least 2
weeks behind and that her husband and son were still in Florida.  She
couldn't give me any additional information and advised that I call back in
a few days.

I called Smokey Mountain again on May 16 and 17, leaving messages each time
on their answering machine asking that they call and provide me with
information.  I also sent another e-mail on May 14 asking for a new ship
date since I had plans to be away for a few days at the end of May.

David Winters called me late at night on May 17, indicating that he planned
to split-ship my packages, the first for May 27 and the rest June 3.  Since
I was to be away the first week, David agreed to ship all the bees on June 3.

On June 6, 1996, I again called Smokey Mountain since the expected packages
had not arrived.  Since noone answered the telephone, I left a message.  I
again called on June 7 and June 8 as well as sending e-mail messages.  Late
June 8 I sent e-mail to cancel the order and send a refund for the total
amount of the order.  Early the next morning I received a response to the
e-mail asking for cancel confirmation.  I promptly responded to confirm the
cancellation and asked that a refund be sent.

With no refund check received, I e-mailed a message to Smokey Mountain on
June 18 to remind them to send me a refund check.  As of today, June 25, I
still have not received a refund check or any acknowledgement of my earlier
messages.

A bit more that two weeks has elapsed since the order was cancelled.  Smokey
Mountain has had the full payment for the 30 packages since early April.
What is a reasonable amount of time to wait before I take further steps in
pursueing the refund.

Thanks in advance for your responses...and if you do business with Smokey
Mountain or know these people, maybe you could encourage them to send my refund.

Thanks

Brian G. Merrill

Brian G. Merrill         [log in to unmask]
Ellie Bee Apiaries
61 Calumet St.
Depew, NY  14043
USA