From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:50:24 -0500
Allen Dick said:

> By this do you mean the rabbet joint?

No, not even close. See the diagram below.

Copying from Brushy Mountain's 1999 catalog,
below is a ASCII-art top view of what they
call a "Rabbeted Hive Body Joint" (not to
scale, but close).  Don't blame me for the
terminology.  As I said, terminology varies.
Massively, it seems.

 |             |
 |             |
 |             |
 |       +-----+
 |       |         +------------
 |       |         |
 |       +---+     +---+
 |           |         |

The nice thing about it is that friction alone
holds the super together while you nail, screw,
glue, whatever.  As I said, the drawback is that
even slightly non-planar stock will make this
design very difficult to assemble at all.

        jim