Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2008 19:01:03 -0800
> Why is the industry silent on this
<snip>
> Not one bee organization or supply house has stepped up to the plate.

Because this is one of the ways to deal with an emergency varroa infestation
and with SHB.

Used as part of IPM, it can save a beekeeper from large losses.  This
especially true for migratory beekeepers who may move and suddenly find a
huge problem, and the same applies to stationary beekeepers who have a
migratory come in.

There are many differing subgroups in beekeeping, and the needs of some are
different from others.  The suppliers and industry try to serve them all.

I hear a lot of suggestions that a one-size-fits-all solution should be
applied.  Unfortunately there are too many differing circumstances for that
to be practical so we wind up with a compromise that may not really be that
good for anybody, but oppresses the fewest people the least.

Many may not like migratory but if it were not for them and the work they do
in the almonds and other crops, beekeeping would be long forgotten by the
governments and funding authorities.

Anyhow, one of the main problems is that people get to thinking that an
emergency treatment like Checkmite+ should be routine.

(I am not an apologist for Checkmite+.  I have never used it and never
will).

> while waiting with bated breath for the silver CCD bullet?

Not sure if you are associating Checkmite+ with CCD?

AFAIK, nobody yet knows what CCD is.  Am I wrong?

In an ideal world there would be no Checkmite+ -- or CCD.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/
---
"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the
work of one extraordinary man."
Elbert Hubbard