From:
"Keith B. Forsyth" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith B. Forsyth
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 07:25:11 -0400
Further information available from OBA, [log in to unmask]

ONTARIO BEEKEEPERS' ASSOCIATION
SATURDAY, JUNE 26, 2004
GUELPH, ONTARIO

Advance Registration:  $20.00 - must be post-marked by June 12 ($30.00 at the door)
Lunch:                            $10.75 - sandwiches, veggies and dip, assorted squares, and beverages.
                                       Both subject to 7% GST

 Hosted by:  University of  Guelph
                     Wellington County Beekeepers' Association

 TENTATIVE SCHEDULE

 Apiculture Field Lab (Townsend House)

  8:30 am  Tour

 Eccles Centre

 10:15 am  Registration

10:40 am  Welcome
    Dr. Mike Dixon, Chair, Department of Environmental Biology

10:50  am  Wellington County Beekeepers' Association
     Bill Higgins, President

11:00 am  Ontario Beekeepers' Association Update
    Tom Congdon, President

11:20 am  Laboratory Evaluation of Some Plant Essences to Control Varroa Mites
    Dr Rahim Ebadi, professor, College of Agriculture, Isfaham University of Technology, Iran   (Visiting collaborator with Dr. Gard Otis)

 12:00 pm  Lunch - by reservation only - MUST BE PURCHASED IN ADVANCE

  1:00 pm  Provincial Update
    Doug McRory, Provincial Apiarist

  1:20 pm  Feed Bee - A Promising Pollen Substitute
    Abdolreza Saffari, U of G graduate student, supervisor - Dr. Peter Kevan

  1:40 pm  Pollinator Problems
   Amanda King, U of G graduate student, supervisor - Dr. Cynthia Scott- Dupree

  2:00 pm  Seasonal Differences in Colony Breeding Potential
    Melanie Youngs, U of G student, Supervisor - Dr. Gard Otis

  2:20 pm  Effects of Protein Availability on Honeybees
    Heather Mattila, U of G graduate student, supervisor - Dr. Gard Otis

  2:40 pm  The Affects of Nutrition on the Quantity and Quality of Drones
    Dr. Rahim Ebadi

   3:00 pm   Coffee

   3:20 pm  Antibacterial and Healing Properties of Honey
    Ingrid Danylyk, U of  G student/technician at Ontario Veterinarian College, supervisor-Dr Karol Mathews OVC

  3:40 pm  Native Meadow Plants- Habitat Regeneration
    Rob Buchanan, Rural Lampton, Stewardship Network

  4:10 pm  Organic Beekeeping - Project Update
    Alison Skinner, OBA Tech Transfer Team

  ¨         Bio for University of Guelph Apiculture:

 The University of Guelph has been providing training and conducting research in apiculture for approximately 120     years. We have been actively engaged with the Ontario Beekeepers' Association for all of these years.

We currently have three faculty members involved in bee research and teaching and one full time apiarist. As of       2004 there will be an additional researcher hired to work exclusively with honeybees. The  meeting  program  will include all the students currently conducting bee research. The morning tour will demonstrate our Field Lab's facilities. We will have a number of stations set up to show queen rearing equipment, our new 28 frame Cowan extracting line, a Billet loader, our indoor wintering/ cold storage room, double nucleus colonies, and many other interesting items.

 Please note that there will not be a Commercial Beekeepers meeting in August this year. We are concentrating our efforts and resources by holding only one meeting during the summer. Many beekeepers have commented that the August meeting was difficult to attend as they were busy harvesting their crop. Please support your association by attending the June 26, 2004 summer meeting. As always feedback on this change is welcome.

 ¨         Bio for Special Guest speaker Dr. Rahim Ebadi,  Proffessor, College of Agriculture,
        Isfahan University of Technology, Isfahan, Iran:

       Dr. Isfahan did his Phd. at the University of California, Davis, with Dr. Norm Gary.  He has studied many aspects of honeybee reproduction including acceptance of larvae in queen cells, affects of  carbon dioxide  and low temperature anesthetics on queens, survival of sperm in instrumentally inseminated queens. Dr. Ebadi's most current research is testing a variety of plant essences for their control of varroa mites.  He will be collaborating with Dr. Gard Otis this summer on a project to determine how nutrition affects drone populations and viability.