Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 04:49:13 -0500

> My interpretation of the material is that honey has been unfairly
> singled out, but it has now passed into urban myth territory from
> where we cannot retrieve it.  However we do have to be on our
> guard as evidenced by a recent press release from Ministry of
> Health in New Zealand.  This was pointing out that honey should
> not be fed to infants in NZ - when :
>
> 1. NZ has the highest per capita honey consumption in the World
> 2. There has never been a recorded instance of Infant Botulism.

In the United Stated beekeepers have a greater problem to overcome:
lawyers. Once such a myth finds acceptance in a court of law the "facts"
of law become stronger than the "facts" of science. I see the "do not feed
honey to children under 1 years old" as standard on honey labels in the
stores.

Of course this is the same reason that anything that comes in a five
gallon pail has a warning label on the pail as to the dangers of five
gallon pails to children.

My standard answer now to those who inquire about feeding honey to their
children is to consult with their health care provider. It is not what I
like, but we do have more lawyers than beekeepers.